Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Halloween 2017: Crowscares

In 1971, a group of hikers made a horrific discovery. Surrounding an old cabin in the middle of the woods, were dozens of bodies, strung up like scarecrows. 


They called the local authorities, who came and raided the cabin. 

As it was later revealed, a secret cult, gathering in the cabin, had been kidnapping and sacrificing lonely hikers, then displaying them in a grotesque fashion: Bolted to a t-stand, with old cloth draped from the arms, and a ritualized, cone-shaped mask fused to the face of each individual. 




In psychological interviews with members of the cult, they explained that the bodies were set up as what they called "Guardians", meant to ward off spirits that would otherwise hinder their agenda. 


However, due to the dry, black, rotten coloration of each corpse, the feathery cloth, and the particularly beak-like ritual masks, the townsfolk had a different name for the gruesome display... 

"Crowscares"



While I consider Halloween 2021 to be my first official yard haunt as Tjalgahorn, 2017 was technically the year I began experimenting with decorations like these. I only made two: A couple of creepy crowscares to guard the gate to my old house. 

Needless to say, the House of Marrow and Pumpkinrot inspirations are pretty apparent here. Specifically, I think Scarecrow Country and His Last Halloween were subconsciously emulated in my design (obviously not as masterfully as Rot or Theo).  I think it's natural to imitate your biggest inspirations as a jumping-off point when beginning (as long as credit is given!), but now I get to take that and develop my own style off of it.

Speaking of which: Halloween 2022 fabrication has begun!

Only 180 days to go... and already I feel so behind

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the nod, but these are uniquely your own! I LOVE these creations! They're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete